Friday, October 16, 2009

A Painfully Green Blog Bud is Born


A normaly timid mammal has decided to explore the surrounding habitat, partly out of curiosity and partly out of necessity.
 The curiosity part includes:
-Getting to know Eco-conscious crafty folk.
-Getting better in depth knowledge of the vintage materials I use.

The necessity part includes:
- Getting the word out that Reducing, Reusing and Recycling can have amazing results!
-Promoting Natural History Vintage Jewelry; my barely surviving store of handmade jewelry made from vintage and recycled parts.
-Exercising my flabby writing muscles dormant since college.

And thus a blog is born.

To begin I should start by explaining what my ideal of Eco-friendly jewelry is:

 For me the epitome of eco-friendly jewelry is the stuff that is already in existence. Second-hand, vintage and antique jewelry. There is a lot of amazing jewelry out there and the only resources/energy necessary are the ones needed to pass it from one owner to the next.

The next best is the kind made from second-hand, vintage and antique jewelry, unused vintage materials (like in most of my work), recycled materials not normally used for jewelry (paper, fabric, hardware, etc), recycled metals melted from other jewelry and metals, etc.

The emphasis I want to make is on using what is already available - like writing on the back of a piece of paper instead of using a fresh piece that is 100% recycled. I would still use the 100% recycled paper over un-recycled but I'd like to see what I can do with what I've already got:)

No comments:

Post a Comment